Friday, October 14, 2011

Halloween Fun!


I love Halloween! Like many people, this month starts my favorite few months of the year. With the weather getting chillier, it feels the noose of intense heat has finally started to loosen. I'm happier, my kids are happier, we have tons of fun activities planned...ahhh I love the fall. We had a little stay-up-late night tonight and made a whole bunch of fun Halloween treats. The kids LOVED it! I got a few of my Halloween ideas from one of my favorite cooking websites that my friend, Sara, introduced me to. I check this site all the time for fabulous recipes and tons of fun party ideas. If you'd like to check it out, it is melskitchencafe.com. Anyway, I have a breadstick recipe I really like that I think I've given out before. Here it is again, with some fun direction changes to make the breadsticks into bones...they are SO FUN!!!

This recipe is from my cookbook on page 73.

Elizabeth's Soft Whole Wheat Breadsticks

1 T yeast

1 1⁄2 C warm water

1 1⁄2 T powdered milk

2 T honey

33⁄4 C sifted whole wheat flour

1 tsp salt

2 tsp dough enhancer

2 tsp gluten


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until fizzy; this will take a few minutes. Mix together powdered milk, and honey. Add yeast mixture. Add 2 C whole wheat flour, dough enhancer and gluten and sprinkle salt on top of the flour. (This will keep the salt and the yeast separate) Mix well. Add whole wheat flour 1⁄2 cup at a time until dough is just not sticky. Knead for about 8 minutes. Roll out into breadsticks and smother in room temperature butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Let rise for 20-30 minutes, or until breadsticks have doubled in size. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until light golden brown. Makes 8-10 large breadsticks


Serve breadsticks with Alfredo, garlic butter, or Savory Perfect Marinara Pizza Sauce (These are all found in Sauces, Frostings and Dips section)


Note: To make these into bones, roll out the breadsticks to about 8-10 inches. Tie each end in a knot. Let them rise and bake...TADA...breadstick bones!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment